Careful organisation and forward planning can minimise the stress of moving house.
Use our moving checklist in conjunction with our Who to notify checklist to guide
you through the six weeks leading up to to moving day.
Two weeks before moving
1. Start packing non-essential items such as books and non-seasonal clothes into
2. Un-register from your doctor, dentist and optician if you're moving out of
3. Visit the post office and arrange for your post to be forwarded (you will
be charged a fee for this service).
4. Notify your milkman and newspaper shop that you'll be moving and give them
a date you want the service to stop.
5. If you have children or pets, arrange for someone to look after them during
6. Make a list of everyone who should know about the move. Send out change of
7. Finalise arrangements with your removal company. Confirm arrival times and
make sure your removers have directions to your new address.
8. Arrange a time to collect the keys for your new home from the estate agent.
9. Notify then bank of any changes to direct debits and standing orders.
Six weeks before the move
1. Confirm the date of your move.
2. If you're renting, notify your landlord of your moving date.
3. Check your home insurance - make sure you have cover from the day you move
in to your new home.
4. Obtain written quotes from several removal firms. Get references and check
the limits of their insurance.
5. If you're not using professional removers, ask friends to help.
6. Book extra storage space if required.
7. Notify the relevant utility companies of your departure.
8. Start getting rid of possessions you no longer need. Decide which items can
be taken to a charity shop, sold at car boot sale, or offered to your friends.
9. If you need new furniture or carpets - order them now and arrange delivery
for when you move in.